Tuesday, June 30, 2015

BEATING WRITER’S BLOCK

WHENEVER I HAVE WRITER’S BLOCK I MAKE SURE I GO TO A QUIET ROOM AWAY FROM ALL DISTRACTIONS. I TURN OFF ANY RADIOS, TVS AND PHONES. I SIT QUIETLY AT MY DESK AND TAKE THREE DEEP BREATHS. BREATHING IN TO THE COUNT OF THREE, HOLDING TO THE COUNT OF THREE AND BREATHING OUT TO THE COUNT OF THREE.

Then I allow my breathing to return to its natural rythem. Next I focus on the different muscle groups in my body. I start at the head and work my way down to my toes. Tighten each muscle group to the count of three, hold to the count of three and relax to the count of three. This usually puts me in a state of relaxed alertness.
Now I simply observe my thoughts for the next fifteen minutes and write them down. Any random thought that comes into my head. Always remembering to be totally detached from my thoughts and simply observe them. At the end of fifteen minutes I read over what I have written and proceed to write a short 250 word article about what I have written. This usually gets the mind ticking over so I can continue to write.
I write as much as I can about the subject I want to write about always being conscious that I can edit what I have written when I am finished. Writing is only half the process, editing and proofreading is the other half.
Once I have written all I can write, I take a break and read something related to what I am writing about. This usually gives me more food for thought which I write down.
Exercise is also an important part of my writing routine. I take half an hour to an hour to go for a walk or a bicycle ride. There are plenty of beaches and parks in my area so I like to visit them and think about what I want to write next.
I reread and edit what I have written frequently so I don’t lose my train of thought. This also stops me repeating myself or losing the plot. For non-fiction writing I frequently refer to the various heading and sub-headings I wrote at the beginning of the writing to keep me on track.
Ongoing research at the library or online also helps. The more you research, the more likely you are to discover aspects of your writing project you have not already covered. You can always add more titles and subtitles to your project.
If all else fails make sure you are getting plenty of rest and having enough breaks away from writing. It is always good to have a weeks break or at least a couple of days and then return to your work with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment